Sunday, February 6, 2011

PORC, Wednesday, February 2, 2011

I'm not sure if it's been made clear to you yet, but I love meat.  I was very excited when I learned that there was going to be a new food truck and that it would focus on BBQ.  I was on H St. NE for the Saturday Jan 29th opening of the PORC truck -- Purveyors Of Rolling Cuisine.

PORCmobile's menu

Unfortunately for my pork craving, I'd just eaten at Smith Commons for restaurant week, and was unable to sample the porky goodness that night, but I did get to take a couple pictures and say hello.  I knew that Meat Week was happening, and I planned to get my fill of pork on Wednesday night at Torrie's@Wilsons for the PORC Meat Week event.

The eagerly-awaited Wednesday night arrived, and I brought my appetite to Torries.


There was a whole counter laid with BBQ, and this is part of what I saw:

PORC spread at Torrie's

On the menu: collard greens, cole slaw, beans with Merguez sausage, pulled pork, pulled beef, texas hot links (chorizo), and BBQ goat, all topped off with mild, medium, or hot sauce, and Torrie's delicious sweet potato pie to finish.

Take a look at what I ate:

Plate #1

Plate #2

If you're salivating, well, it tasted as good as it looked.  I have to agree with my tablemates that the smokey flavor was a little lacking -- but Josh (one of the two chief purveyors) assured us that they are going to smoke the meat for longer and then braise it for longer as well, so that it's just as tender and juicy, but smokier.

I honestly think that the goat (cabrito) was tastier that night than the pork or beef, and with some cilantro, onions, and lime, it was definitely full of flavor.  I wasn't a huge fan of the sausage, which is surprising since I'm normally all about it; I felt that the flavor was a little one-dimensional, perhaps.  The beans with sausage were really good, as were the collard greens.  It's a shame they won't have the sweet potato pie on the truck, as it was really good -- but go to Torrie's and get it!

Because my BBQ eyes had been bigger than my BBQ stomach, I got to take some leftovers home with me, and made everyone jealous the next day when they saw what I was eating.  The pork remained more tender than the beef or goat, but they were all tasty.

What I'm saying is, if you're looking to scratch the BBQ itch, go get some PORC when they're near you.  You can follow their schedule on their twitter feed.

No comments:

Post a Comment